Author Topic: Andrew Miller  (Read 13 times)

elaine95

• View Profile
Andrew Miller
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:52 am »
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Steven Matz has developed a sense for when his pitching mechanics are in order.“When I’m going good http://www.marlinsfanproshop.com/authentic-miguel-rojas-jersey , I can get in a good rhythm and just kind of keep going,” he said.The 27-year-old left-hander was feeling it on Saturday.Matz struck out a career-high 11 batters and the New York Mets went on to beat the San Francisco Giants 2-1 in 11 innings.“That was something that (catcher Tomas) Nito and I were really on top of,” Matz said. “We just had a good rhythm going. He was putting down (signs) that I was wanting. It just worked out good.”Wilmer Flores doubled to left off Giants reliever Hunter Strickland (3-4) to lead off the 11th. He went to third when Jay Bruce grounded out to second against the shift, and scored on Todd Frazier’s fly ball to left.Jerry Blevins (2-2) pitched a scoreless 10th and Mets closer Robert Gsellman worked the 11th for his ninth save.Brandon Nimmo made a diving catch in right field, robbing Austin Slater of a hit to end the game.The Mets have won six of their last seven games at AT&T Park.Slater was 2 for 5 and Evan Longoria homered for the Giants.Longoria hit his 15th home run leading off the bottom of the fourth on a 2-1 sinker Matz left over the heart of the plate. Nido was 2 for 4 with an RBI double off Giants starter Derek Holland in the fifth.Holland gave up one run in six innings of three-hit ball in which he walked three.Matz gave up one run in seven innings of three-hit ball.“It was definitely the best I’ve seen (Matz) all year,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said.After Longoria’s home run, the Mets held the Giants to one hit over the next eight innings.They didn’t advance a runner into scoring position over that stretch until 35-year-old outfielder Hunter Pence, who reached on a one-out walk off Blevins in the 10th and stole second with Joe Panik up with two outs.Blevins got Panik to fly out to left.“We couldn’t mount anything offensively,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.“We needed somebody to come through. It’s tough to get this kind of pitching and we couldn’t find a way to scratch out another run for them.”Mets starting pitchers over their last 13 games have combined for a 1.67 ERA (17 earned runs, 91 2/3 innings).“I try to build off those guys Bryan Holaday Jersey ,” Matz said. “You see Zack (Wheeler) and (Jacob deGrom) and what they’ve done recently, we kind of all build off each other I think so I think it does help when you see those guys go out there and dominate like they do. “The beleaguered Mets bullpen combined for four shutout innings of no-hit ball. Going into Saturday, Mets relievers were tagged for 26 earned runs in their last 11 innings, for a 21.27 ERA over that stretch.LEFT OUTLeft-handed hitting infielder Jeff McNeil sat out of Saturday’s starting lineup against the left-handed Holland. Manager Mickey Callaway said he’ll rest other left-handed hitters during a stretch in which New York facs left-handed starters in three of its next four games. The Mets have faced 37 lefty starters, matching their 2017 total. They’re 15-22 vs. southpaw starters.ADDED ONThe Mets recalled right-handed pitchers Tim Peterson and Eric Hanhold from Triple-A Las Vegas. More call-ups are expected to trickle in. “It’s going to be a September with a lot of players and a lot of moving parts,” manager Mickey Callaway said. . The Giants recalled right-handed pitcher Ray Black from Triple-A Sacramento. More September call-ups are expected in time for a three-game series in Colorado, which starts Monday, manager Bruce Bochy said.TRAINER’S ROOMGiants: SS Brandon Crawford was out of the lineup for a second straight day with a sore left knee, among other minor ailments, manager Bruce Bochy said. Crawford’s playing status is day-to-day.UP NEXTMets RHP Noah Syndergaard (9-3 Brad Ziegler Jersey , 3.51 ERA) posted a 4.74 ERA in August. RHP Chris Stratton (9-7, 4.99) is 1-0 with a 1.26 ERA in two starts since an August 21 callup up from Triple-A Sacramento. TORONTO — The Cleveland Indians are a team headed for the postseason, but they have had their troubles with a team that will be going nowhere but home when the season ends in the Toronto Blue Jays.The Indians, who have a big lead in the American League Central, have a chance to escape the Rogers Centre with a series win Sunday afternoon. It has not been easy.Despite being outhit 18-11 on Saturday, the Indians were able to squeeze out a 9-8 victory over the Blue Jays, who almost came back from an 8-3 disadvantage after Cleveland’s seven-run fifth inning.Article continues below ...Cleveland has won two of the first three in the four-game series. The season series stands 3-3.The Indians had a big inning from catcher Roberto Perez, who led off the fifth with his second homer of the season and finished the scoring in the inning with a three-run run double.The Blue Jays had two homers from Randal Grichuk, but their pitchers gave up nine walks.The Indians will start right-hander Mike Clevinger (11-7, 3.11 ERA) in the series finale and the Blue Jays will send out left-hander Thomas Pannone (1-1 http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-rod-carew-jersey , 4.58).Clevinger helped the Indians end a three-game losing streak and posted his 11th win of the season while holding the Kansas City Royals to one run in six innings in a 10-strikeout outing Tuesday He allowed four runs and three hits in four innings of a no-decision outing against the Blue Jays on April 13.Clevinger has gone 4-2 with a 2.32 ERA in nine starts since the All-Star break. He is 1-0 with a 6.75 ERA in two career games (one start) against Toronto.Pannone will make his third career major league start because Marcus Stroman is out with a blister on his right middle finger.Pannone’s first two starts were against the Baltimore Orioles with contrasting results. He pitched a one-hitter in seven innings to pick up the win on Aug. 22 in Toronto, but in Baltimore six days later, he allowed seven runs and nine hits in 3 1/3 innings to take the loss. He has made six major league relief appearances.He was acquired in a trade July 31, 2017, that sent reliever Joe Smith to the Indians.Kevin Pillar, who doubled twice Saturday after hitting an 11th inning walkoff homer Friday, is the player with most seniority on a team that is looking to the future with an abundance of September callups.“It’s definite energy and I think it’s a reminder, too,” said Pillar, who has six years with the Blue Jays. “I was in their shoes Brian Dozier Jersey , too. I was a young kid, trying to prove myself. I think it’s just kind of a friendly reminder that they’re here to take your job and you have to go out and perform every single day, even when it feels like we’re not playing for anything. You have to remember it’s our job to go out and perform, continue to work and prove yourself every day.”Rowdy Tellez already has become a crowd favorite only four games into his big-league career. He hit his first career homer Saturday and added a single. His first six hits were doubles.He is the first player since 1913 with seven extra-base hits in his first four career games. He is the fourth player in the live ball era to have each of his first seven hits go for extra bases.Based on the game Saturday, Cleveland’s bullpen needs help. It could be coming, Andrew Miller (left shoulder impingement) threw 33 pitches off the bullpen mound Saturday afternoon and tried simulating a game setting. The 33-year-old threw a bullpen session Thursday. He has on the disabled list since Aug. 29 and was eligible to be activated Saturday.“I think the next step is to get used in a game and handle that adrenaline again,” Miller said. “I don’t know exactly what we’ll do. It hasn’t been that much time. I think I’d like to get into some games, I’d love to pitch here (in Toronto).”The Indians had left fielder Michael Brantley back in the lineup Saturday and he produced a two-run homer, a single and two walks. He has six career homers against the Blue Jays.He grounded out as a pinch hitter Friday in his only appearance of the first two games of the series because of a bruised left foot. He had fouled a ball off the foot Wednesday.